Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Rough Conversation

Last night I had a conversation with a couple that really frustrated me.

We were talking about bible translation and about how that worked as a career.

Missionaries do not get paid by a company. We have to go out and raise support, finding people who are willing to give a monthly donation to the mission. The gifts are tax-deductible as they are being giving to my company "Pioneer Bible Translators" which is a non-profit organization.

The woman took this to be me being a charity case and using people.

That's not exactly how this works. I'm not using people. God is. I am asking God's people to use God's money to do God's work, which is taking God's Word to people without it. Also, I'm not begging people for money. I'm offering people an opportunity to fulfill the Great Commission. Jesus told us to go into all the world proclaiming Him. He wasn't talking to just the missionaries or just those in Ministry, He was talking to everyone. But not everyone can drop what they're doing to run off into the jungle. But by financial supporting a missionary, they can. By sending a missionary, they have become a vital part of the execution plan of the Great Commission.

Also, I'm not just asking for a handout. I am working. I am doing a job that must get done but no one is paying anyone to do. But there is a cost to living and that does need to get paid as I work.

So, I am asking you to play an important role in the Great Commission by giving God's money to this Mission, so that I can cover the costs to do Bible Translation in Papua New Guinea.

I wanted to mention this so that if anyone else feels the same as this woman than they can understand a bit better the whole affair.

2 comments:

Bruce said...

Elizabeth, don't let uninformed comments like that lady's get you down. She obviously doesn't get it. When I was making money and able to support others, I was thrilled at the chance to support others who could go do the work that I could not. It's a joy, not a burden when you are connected to a project that you feel passionate about, and people that you really believe in. Maybe if you come back in a few years, she'll have reached a higher level of maturity and be capable of supporting you.

Elizabeth Vahey Smith said...

That's encouraging, thanks. Partnership development is hard, as you probably well know, and it's crazy the number of people who just aren't seeing it the right way. And you can tell that they just aren't getting it, but I've never had someone voice like that. It killed me to hear that. Concerning something that I am this passionate about, it took a lot of restraint to stay calm. But thanks, that is encouraging and I do need encouragment!