Saturday, June 22, 2013

Great vs. Good

The trip to the Grand Canyon was a great trip. It reminded me of my first trip to PNG. It, too, was a great trip. A miserable trip full of aches, pains, tears, sweat, and blood. But a great trip nonetheless.
I feel like there's an important difference between good and great.
Like God. God is great. And God is good. And this isn't redundancy.
God is great in that He is almighty, creator, king, eternal, all-knowing, etc.
God is good in that He is just, loving, merciful, generous, faithful, etc.
Great vs. Good.
So this trip and the internship were great as in I learned so much from them and they were legendary experiences.
They were not good trips which would be to say that I had so much fun, and I was so relaxed, and all my dreams came true.
Oh no.
I went to the Grand Canyon and I learned a lot of lessons.
Learning life lessons isn't really fun.
I learned about myself. I learned about my marriage. And I learned about the Grand Canyon.
Too much to write in one post. Others will be forthcoming. (My overarching experience) But I think it suffices to say:
We hiked from the top of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon down to the bottom and back in a day (Well, the bottom of the section we were at, I'm sure there are areas closer to sea level than we were...).
Checked that off the bucket list!

What great trips have you had where the word "good" wasn't applicable? What have you checked off your bucket list recently? I'd love to hear your comments!

No comments: