Sunday, June 9, 2013

My Summer Reading List

I LOVE to read. When I was younger, my mother would feel the need to come in my room every few hours to make sure that I was still alive. Her intrusions weren't well received.... She was interrupting some really major stuff! And then I was going to have to stop and restart and then I would starts seeing words again and sometimes it takes a few minutes for the words to go away and the book to consume. (To avid book readers the previous statement is quite sensical!)  She threw off my groove!

Anyway, as always, school makes pleasure reading a twinkling star, beautiful, entrancing, but so far away, so out of reach.

But school is out!!!
And I intend to spend the summer hunched over fantastic books! (And the fall semester visiting a chiropractor.)

So here are the books I plan on reading:
(Note: I am NOT recommending these books! I have not read them. I don't know if they're good or appropriate or anything!)

  •  Rain on Your Wedding Day - finished reading it. Super good. Sad. But the last line is all "It's a sad story..." "The world needs sad stories." Beautiful, am I right?
  • The Green Ticket - Currently reading. Update 6/14: A story about choosing between whats right and money. The antagonist is in the adult industry and is promiscuous. While there are no steamy scenes and his behavior is viewed as despicable, this might not be a novel for a younger reader. 
  • The Bell Jar - I read this book in 2008. But it's come time to read it again. I have pretty much no memory of the book. So... definitely time.
  • The Locket - I'm apprehensive about this one. Mystical fiction has become so popular that a lot of it is fluff. The synopsis makes it look like a Narnia kinda thing. Hopefully it's awesome. Update 6/23: A childrens/youth fiction of a girl who finds herself in another world and must save the day. Strong motifs of freedom, women's freedom, freedom in choosing, and freedom from grief. 
  • In the Shadow of Lions - A Boleyn Novel. I read the Other Boleyn Girl and it was good. Hopefully this will be too. I really love the fantasy fiction with horses and carriages and noble households. This is, like, half of that!
  • The Emperor of Paris - I've got nothing. It looks like a book set in Paris. We'll see. 
  • The Taming - The cover looks risque. But it's by a youth author... I love youth books! They're enchanting while avoiding sexual encounters with their characters. Maybe some romance, maybe some intimacy, but nothing steamy. There's nothing I hate more than getting interested in a book and coming across something that makes it unreadable. 
  • Wonder - A story about an ugly kid who goes to school. "You'll laugh and you'll cry!" We shall see.
Ok, books I have read and do recommend:

 Epic 
Apocalyptic 
  • The Hunger Games - Before letting your children read books about how children aggressively and brutally murder each other for the amusement of others, read it first and do a chapter by chapter discussion to pull out those beautiful values of love, sacrifice, and rebellion. 
  • The Uglies - People undergo plastic surgery to make themselves pretty. They cut their brain in the process so they won't rise up. 
  • The Giver - the oldest in this genre are the best!
  • 1984 - another old one.
  • Divergent - To make you happy again when you finish the Hunger Games Trilogy. 
Realistic 
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes - Finds a package of letters from dead aunt. Letter bring her on an adventure to Europe. 
  • Stupid and Contagious - I LOVE this book. A little bit of sexual content but more talking about it in a hilarious stitches in your side kind of way as opposed to the steamy sort. 
Youth 
  • HARRY POTTER - I walked out of the movie theater after watching the 8th movie and in doing so I walked out of my childhood. 
  • Mister Monday - Pretty Good. Pretty Good. 
  • Pendragon - A fun series! There's this one line, when the Queen slapped his face and cried because he hurt her hard and he's all "I'm sorry I hit your hand with MY FACE!" lol!
  • Artemis Fowl - This book is so good. Also, it has this fairy language, well orthography with a one to one ratio with the characters in the Alphabet. Anyway, every page has some at the bottom. I deciphered it and translated the mini-story at the bottom when I was 11. Translation started early in my life....
Book recommendations are welcome! Have you read any of these? What did you think? What books have you read this summer? And what books do you insist others should try?

No comments: