Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Thing about Beds

It started in Fall '09 when I first moved to TX. I thought I was staying in a house for four months and then going home. But a change of plans had me staying there for 6 months, a hatred of the place I was living had me move out early, my new house had me share a room, a departing resident had me move to an empty double room, and another shift in residents had me move to a single room. In six months, I had slept in four different beds.
I've moved before in my life. A lot when I was really little. But in my memory, I lived in one house for about 10 years. After my parents got divorce, my mom moved around a bit but then got settled. Then my dad moved a bit and then got settled. But even during that time, there was always a bed that was mine and stable.
This month I started at home in that bed, in my travels in a bed in GA, and now I'm in this bed. Next month I know I'll sleep in at least two different beds. That's five beds in two months! And if my semester goes as planned, this rate will not slow down.
I don't want to say I have developed an attachment to beds, because I try not to get attached to the bed. 1. I know I will leave it soon. 2. It is an inanimate object. But I have developed a thing about beds.
This is the bed I'm sleeping in in TX this time. I'm really digging the headboard shelf and I think that whenever I do settle down I will have to make sure I have one. I have an electric blanket under the sheet which I really appreciate. Sadly, it has a three-hour automatic off which means that I wake up every three hours to being freezing and have to turn on my blanket again. The house is very cold. Very very cold. Very cold.
I like proppig my pillow against the wall, having my coffee right there, and having all my textbooks within arms reach. (All of the books on the shelf are my textbooks, but the books on the shelf are not all of my textbooks).
I like the bed a lot. Perhaps I will match my long-term bed to it. Or perhaps, in my travels I will meet an assortment of beds which different fun elements and combine them into THE AWESOME BED! Ah, something I can dream about as I lay in each one...

No comments: