Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sometimes I get jumpy...

We were in Madang, where the PBT office is located in PNG. It was our last week in the country. My team leader had moved to her own room. The Intern who had been in that room moved into the room that I had slept in. I, after the Cockroach Chronicles, had not left the living room couch. It was about 3 am and I heard something. I tried to tell myself it was another intern coming home (he was next door at the house of his fiancee), but when I remember that the doors were not locked, my concern became un-easeable. I got up to lock us in.


(The locks in PNG have keyholes on both sides, so that you can't punch thru the screen and reach thru to unlock it. (I know that the picture you may have in your head is probably very different from the picture in mine so, instead of use 1,000 words, I'll include a picture!) Having two keyholes makes it very easy to get locked in, as one of our team leaders has demonstrated here).


As I was locking the door, I kept hearing sounds in the yard. Every twig that snapped made me jump. I was way too on edge! I laid back down and fell into a restless sleep.
For this reason, I will never watch Criminal Minds whilst in the jungle. I love Criminal Minds, I really do. I own the first Season. But I get really jumpy state-side watching it. I think I will become a traumatized wreck if I tried to watch this in an already jumpy enducing environment.

(I probably will. After a while, when I rewatched all the Bones that I own, and Lie to Me, and House, and NCIS, I'll tell myself, oh it wasn't that bad. And watch it. And I will be terrified, and say I will never do it again. But there will probably be a next time...)

No comments: