Thursday, January 6, 2011

Back at GIAL

I'm presently sitting in my new room in Dallas, TX at my sweet desk, whose drawers serve as my dresser. Since I arrived yesterday, I've had Starbucks, visited Walmart twice, talked to the lovely people in the PBT office, met my new housemates, moved in, returned to the PBT office for more visiting and (the next day (today)) went to visit my GIAL advisor, my new professor, discussed my class, retreived my new textbook from the library, and went to visit with my PBT coach again. This does not include the time spent doing PD. Now it is lunch time. Only lunch time!
My course appears to be less than rigorous. My professor assigned me an 150 page book and gave me a week to read it. In previous classes at GIAL, I've been given 150 pages of reading to be completed in 2 days, not 7. Perhaps it'll pick up. This course is an independent study on Papuan Languages. My first book was an overview of Papuan Languages. My second is a classification of Madang languages (which is the province in which I will work). And books about the Cargo Cults which were formed in Madang will come soon.
It's good to be back. It's always fun to walk into a building that you're very familiar with after a long time. And studying linguistics again will be enjoyable as well. Counseling wasn't bad but it wasn't quite as fun as linguistics!

No comments: