Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Secret Society of Sorts

The other day I was at Panera working on an end-of-the-semester project for my greek class. Sitting on one of the couches beside the fireplace, struggling to understand how a commentator had such a ridiculously wrong translation for a particular word, I looked up to rest my eyes from my computer screen. Sitting across from me was a man in a similar predicament. His laptop open in front of him, he looked up from his work to stretch. Beside him was a red leather bound book with gold font that looked surprising just like ... I looked down, exactly like my greek new testament. I looked at him in surprise, he returned the look noticing the same thing at the same time.
At my Bible College, there are only a small handful of students with a Greek New Testament and even fewer with ones that look like mine, and yet here I find, in a Panera in Norfolk, a Greek scholar sitting across from me.
We shared our stories: where we're from, where we're going, and went our seperate ways.

Sometimes I feel like Christianity is a secret society of sorts. It's so rare that, out and about, you run into people who you can tell are a part of it. Normally, you wouldn't be able to pick one out of a crowd. Some feel like you can't talk to just anyone about it (for fear of being persecuted by atheists). And then there are the Christians by default. Those who's parents are so they are but they really have never met Jesus, they've just been raised saying yes to that question. So really, no one knows who the Christians are and who aren't.
Running in to this guy was exciting and probably will never happen again so randomly. But it made me feel like I was part of a secret society. The bad thing about secret societies, though, is that they're invitation only and you'd have to talk about it to give an invitation, but you can't talk about because it's a secret society! So if Christianity is a secret society ...

No comments: