Sunday, May 24, 2009

Fire

When I was little my dad would take us camping and he and I would sit, long after my little sister retired, talking at the campfire. Those were beautiful nights when problems and misunderstandings dissolved and a child sat with her father to talk about life.

At PMI last year, I sat around a fire with others who had their eyes set on Papua New Guinea. People I didn't even know, yet around the fire we sat joined together by this common goal. Stresses vanished until we stood to depart. A moment of peace and rest in the middle of the chaos new places tend to bring.

Tonight, I sat around the fire with my gel group and some old friends. Money problems, babbling lists, and other worries disappeared as I joined the company there. This being the first time my mind has had rest in too long.

I hope fires to gather around and share stories and talk about life are common in Papua New Guinea.

No comments: