Friday, August 16, 2013

I'm a Lazy Workaholic

Everyday I wake up and list to myself the things I need to get done. Every evening I berate myself for all the things I didn't do.
I mock the time I spent on Pinterest and Facebook. The time I spent watching TV.
And then I try to think of SOMETHING that I accomplished that day.
And my list is often HUGE!
Today for example:
I finished reading the articles I had for one class and contacted the department head for the other resources.
Attended my class, planned my semester project, and emailed the person who's brain needed picking for my research. And I read one of two of the articles due on Monday.
I cooked delicious food for my husband and cleaned the kitchen.
I contacted the author who's book I'm editing (an odd job I really enjoy) and the professor I'm doing a work study for about when and what they want me to do, respectively.
At it's only 6:30 pm, which means I have another 7 hours before I go to bed.
Half of that time will probably be spent doing something stupid. And every moment of that time I'll berate myself for not being productive.

I have the mentality of a workaholic without the conviction of one.
I am a lazy workaholic.

I need to give myself a break. A day where I don't expect myself to work and don't degrade myself for relaxing. I need to give myself hours of the day for nothing and for something. So I can enjoy the rest, instead of feeling guilty the whole time.
(If only the Bible would have commanded me to do something like that so I wouldn't have found myself in this self-destructive pattern to begin with! Oh wait! It did!The Sabbath! It's just like, God knows. God is so smart. I should just listen to Him.)

So I'm hereby instituting Saturday as my day of rest! (I know, this is super profound and insightful and original.) And on this day, I will do whatever I fancy! If I want to do book editing because I like it, I will. And if I want to clean the house because I read this blog on organizing my life and got super excited about it, I will. And if I want to lie in bed all day and stare at the ceiling fan, I will.

I also need to come up with a daily plan, but Saturday is like tomorrow and I have so much to do right now if I want to be lazy and do nothing tomorrow. ;)

-recovering workaholic

No comments: