Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Summer of 13

So while our summer should have ended last week since Jacob started classes, we decided to extend it a week for a very special reason.
But overall, the summer was great.
First there was PMI. Always a fun time, especially the coffeehouse where missionaries tell anecdotes from far away lands that will have you in stitches!
Then we were off to Surprise! No really... that's the name of the city. Old friends, new friends, red friends, blue friends, the whole nine yards.
We swung by the Grand Canyon, which tried to kill me.
When we got back, friends from my undergrad who we hung out with a lot while they lived here were house sitting and we got to spend a few days with them before they headed back east.

A friend from GIAL works at Medieval Times and scored us free tickets. A dinner out and a jousting show was fun change from normal date night. While we were at Medieval Times, we spent the pre-show time in the Torture Museum. This was a $2 poorly spent. They started off with the stocks and gallows and guillotine, but then we sunk into the dark ages with torture devices that were sick and vile. That people actually invented for the new ways to violate, humiliate, and torture other humans. I slipped out early and found a comrade in thought sitting on the bench at the exit. "People actually used that stuff," she said to me shaking her head. I just shook my head as I focused on stilling my hands. The horsemanship and swordmanship of the main event was significantly more lighthearted. It was a great show. And our serving wench was amazing.


Looking on the D Magazine event page, I noticed a performance of the Shakespeare Company, The Bible: The Complete Work of God (Abridged). I saw The Shakespeare Company's The Great Works: Abridged in Norfolk once and Jacob had seen their play, The Works of Shakespeare (Abridged). The three man comedic play was not one I would be missing. I saw the manuscript for The Bible on my first exposure and knew it would be great show.
And it was. I think it would be even more funny for a non-Christian, who are not concerned with irreverent comments. Jacob and I, even as firm believers in God's sense of humor, hesitated at a few jokes wondering if they had crossed a line. "Was that a line?" "That might have been a line." "...." The only thing sacred was the Crucifixion and Resurrection before the play resumed their humor with the Axe of the Apostles. But with only a handful of profanity and a few lewd remarks, the play was hilarious.

No comments: