Thursday, July 11, 2013

Vengeance is Savory: A Short Story

So you know those farm scenes where the rooster crows waking you up in the morning?
It leads you to believe that roosters crow when the sun rises. 
LIES!
Roosters crow ALL THE TIME. 
Are you familiar with "Roosters go cock-a-doodle-doo!"?
LIES!
Roosters sound like women screaming bloody murder. 
And while we were in Samban, the first time I was in Papua New Guinea, it set the whole team on edge. One person was so affected that they demanded to be the person to prepare our gift rooster for dinner. 
Vengeance is savory. 

One night in PNG, I was having a dream, I don't remember what about, but it was a good dream. 
But I remember my focus switching to dream-Lindy who was dying. Real-Lindy was sick with malaria. Dream-Lindy was screaming and I tried to run to her. But it was a dream and what's up with running in dreams?!
I woke scared for her when dream-Lindy's screams morphed into real-roosters dying howl. 
It was 2:00 am.
Needless to say, I was quite displeased. 

No comments: