Friday, November 27, 2009

Mechanial Misadventures Managed

Yesterday was...fun.
I was on my way to the Fletchers for Thanksgiving Dinner. The Fletchers went to Forefront, my home church, and I randomly ran into them at Northwood church, the church I now attend. On my way there, as I was driving down the interstate, my power steering went out. My first though was, "Ugh!" I pulled off the interstate (conveniently there was an exit right there with a gas station), turned off my car, turned it back on, and expected it to be all better. It was not. So I called my mother who was in Georgia with my uncle who is a mechanic. It was decided that my serpentine belt had broken and that the damages would cost about $200 to fix. Well I don't have $200! With nothing left to do but call Roadside service, I called Fletch to inform him that I would not be at dinner. Well, the Fletchers had other plans.

After picking me up, Fletch took a look at my car and scrutinized the damage. No auto shops were open on Thanksgiving so they took me to their family's. I ate, played cards with AJ and Jewls (Fletch's daughters, 12 and 9), and watched Star Trek in their home theatre (it was nice). Then they took me back to their place, gave me a warm bed, a hot shower, breakfast, and hot tea. At 9:00am, Fletch went back to work on my car. Finding it MIA.
Although I had asked the owner if I could leave the car overnight, it had been towed. $250 to get my car back. But Fletch the Amazing, contacted all the powers be, getting the owner to tell the tow company that I had permission to be there and they released my car without fee. But more than that, they let Fletch work on my car in the lot so that I wouldn't have to tow it out of the tow lot. But after finding wood, going to the scrap yard, looking under hood after hood for the parts, and an assortment of other minor complications tat I won't bore you with, my car is fixed and I am home.
Financial damage: $60
Thank God and His servants, the Fletchers

No comments: