Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Supporting Vampires

So today I went to see the Vampires (Carter Blood Care) so that they could suck my blood (remove a pint) to feast on (save lives). I was a little (a lot) freaked out at the beginning (half hour)but it wasn't that bad.
The worst part was probably the finger prick. The lady told me I needed to try to not be nervous because if my pulse went too high they couldn't take my blood. (I needed to give blood so that I can figure out my blood type for PBT). So I began to hum quietly to myself because that's what I do when I'm bored and I wanted to trick myself into believing that I was bored and not panicked. Little did I realize that my hum was swelling into a crescendo as the needle approached my finger and stabbed my flesh. The lady asked me if I was humming because I was nervous. I at first thought, "What a stupid question. Duh, that's why I'm humming." But then I reminded myself that there are no such thing as stupid questions... only stupid people (that was a joke.)
Finally, they have me in a chair with my arm on a pillow waiting to be bitten (pierced). Another woman comes over and talks me through everything she's doing patiently. She gently laughed at me because I was "watching her like a hawk." It's true, but I feel like the fact that she was about to steal a pint of my blood justified my keeping a close watch. After the needle was in and my blood was gushing out of my body (flowing into a bag), I decided small talk to be appropriate.
"Is this what you wanted to be when you grew up?"
A laugh and a short career history followed.
"And what do you do?" she politely and perfunctorily replied.
"Uh, I'm a bible translator."
At the end of our conversation, she took my name and phone number and will be discussing the possibility of supporting me to her husband.
How awesome is that?
Pray that that conversation goes well.
A good day I think!

No comments: