Monday, August 3, 2009

If we all just loved Jesus and acted like it, this wouldn't even be an issue

Recently I've been thinking about what it means to be a Christian. Or, more specifically, what you have to do. And I've come to the conclusion tht it's not as simple as people make it sounds... and yet, at the same time, it's even more simple than that.
I was reading the church's description of "What do I have to do to be a Christian?" And the page said, confess, repent, and then say this little prayer and then PRESTO. You're a Christian.
But it's more than that, isn't it? Because being a Christian isn't a destination, it's a journey. Being a Christian, you pursue Jesus. It's more than saying "Jesus, I accept you as my Lord and Savior." You now have to go and live that out. You have to go out and feed the hungry and clothe the naked and, if you don't, even if you think you're a Christian, Jesus says that He doesn't know you. (Matthew 25:31-46) But it's more than that because the Bible also says that people will come saying "look at all of this that I did in your name" and Jesus tells them too, "I don't know you." (Matthew 7:15-23) So those are the two extremes. We have to sit between them, doing things for our God, yet doing them for the right reasons.
And that's just one aspect of lifestyle! Let's not even get into baptism and speaking in tongues and all the other doctrinal, church dividing criteria!
I mean, at the end of the day we need to just love Jesus and everything else will happen naturally, but so often those become just words and our lives don't change as a result.

No comments: