Saturday, August 22, 2009

Do I really need a degree?

So I've gotten this question a couple of times and would, consequently, like to address it.
"Do you really need a degree to do Bible Translation, Elizabeth?"
The answer: Yes
A degree is just a piece of paper saying that I've taken all the classes and I have sufficient knowledge in the discipline that is required of me.
So the degree isn't the important part. It just says that I have the education. So, what people are really asking is, do I need an higher education. And the answer? Yes
When you're about to undergo brain surgery, do you want someone with a degree? Or someone who "felt like brain surgery was important work and needed to just go out and do it"?
Bible Translation is kinda a big deal. We're dealing with the Word of God here. I'm not translating children's books where, if I mess up, the worst that could happen is red would be labeled orange. There are issues of salvation that I'm playing with here.
Bible Translation is important work and I do need to go out and do it, but I need to do it with excellence. And so I need to be well educated for this job in order to do it to the best of my abilities.
Yes, it's time consuming. Yes, it's expensive. But yes, it's necessary.

No comments: