Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Woo! Dallas, TX

Today is my first full day of my 3.5 month stay in Dallas. I've been here a few times for a week or two stay but never so long as this.
Yesterday, we got in at 3. It was 100 degrees. We stopped at the International Service Center (ISC) and then I went to go move into my new home. I walk in with my first load of luggage and pull up my laptop as I go for the second. Ms. Blood didn't know which wi-fi was her's nor did she know her password. I looked on to her desktop, and, although the woman swears that she has wireless internet, she does not. And the modem she has only has one ethernet jack so I can't just plug in. So not only am I hot, sleep-deprived (as we did not spend the night in Johnson), and in a new place where people don't know how to drive, but I have 3/5 mths looming ahead of me where I have no internet.
On the verge of tears from how overwhelming this all feels, I ask for directions to Panera Bread. 10 minutes later (she's old, it takes her longer) I'm on my way. As I go, I pass a Best Buy and do what any person about to cry because she has no way to connect to the internet does, I stop. I buy what I need to be able to plug into her modem, go home, and it doesn't work. I go back (after realizing that I spent more money on all I'd need to plug in than it would have taken to buy a wireless modem) and bought a wireless modem. I went home, it worked, took back the other stuff and found that I went to Best Buy three times in the first four hours that I has arrived in Dallas.
So my first day was stressful and tiring and I wanted to pull into the parking lot of something familiar and cry, but I couldn't find a Bank of America!

No comments: