Sunday, February 28, 2016

What were the raised saints up to for three days?

After writing about Duh Questions, I thought it appropriate to start the anecdotes with a classic Duh Question saves the day story.

Let's check out Matthew 27:52-53.

(context from the CEV) 50 Once again Jesus shouted, and then he died.
51 At once the curtain in the temple was torn in two from top to bottom. The earth shook, and rocks split apart. 


The tombs opened and, many people of God who had been dead for a while, they got up. They left the tomb, and when Jesus rose again, and they went inside holy city of Jerusalem and plenty people saw them. (The English translation of the Tok Pisin translation of the Tok Ples translation. Something that should really never be done.)



So while in v. 52, I looked up at the group around me. There were 15-20 men inside the hauswin (pavilion) and a whole crowd outside, against the hauswin, sitting beside it. People were everywhere. It did not help the breeze. We had read through the passage as a whole and they answered some questions on the main point and theme and now we were going verse by verse, having them translate it into Tok Pisin and then answer some questions about it.

"I'm going to ask you a question," I said. "And you're going to think: why are you asking this question? But I'm not trying to trick you. I just need to ask this question before I ask a question I have later."
And then I said it.
"When did the people raise to life?"
Silence.
Of course.
Always silence with a Duh Question.
But finally one of the most outspoken attendees said, "When Jesus' spirit left him."
"Ok. v. 53."
(You're not supposed to affirm answers because you're not supposed to ever say that they're wrong, since that will shame them into not answering more questions, when really a wrong answer is most often a problem with the translation communicating well. But since you can't say they're wrong, you can't say they're right or when you don't say they're right, you confirm that they're wrong, right? Ok!)

They began to read v. 53 in Tok Ples (language of the village). And they weren't very far in when the "ooooh's" started. I didn't even need to ask my next question. Prepped by my Duh Question, they could see the confusing part themselves.

When did the people leave the tomb?
Where were the people before Jesus resurrected?

There was a lot of talking in Tok Ples (which I can't understand). I was asked for clarification.
The more Tok Ples discussion.
Finally, the head translator told me it was fixed.

They moved the "and when Jesus rose again" to the beginning of v 53. Which is what the CEV does!


52 Graves opened, and many of God’s people were raised to life. 53 Then after Jesus had risen to life, they came out of their graves and went into the holy city, where they were seen by many people.






No comments: