Thursday, April 24, 2014

3 Reasons Why Waiting to Announce is Lame

Ok so by now it's public knowledge that I'm pregnant. If you didn't know that then.... GUESS WHAT!??!?! I'M PREGNANT!
Ok.
It's been a while since I've posted anything because I've been totally baby-brained for the past 3... 4ish months and we've been keeping it on the down low for like 3 months! Which has been pretty lame for a multitude of reasons which I will enumerate for you here:

  1. Demands to meet at 8 am.
    So here's the thing. My biggest suffering has been sheer exhaustion. Working in the office, (trying) to do Partnership Development, basic living and staying awake has been quite the feat. Now you add to this the fact that I can't have caffeine. (I had to go on a cup of half-caff coffee a day, just to keep the withdrawal headaches away! But I've since been weaned, so there goes that modest boost.) Furthermore, my husband doesn't get home from work until like super late. After midnight. And while I'm cognitively aware that he tries (to some degree) to be quiet when he gets home and I'm in bed, I'm a very light sleeper. On top of ALL of this, I am susceptible to the pregnancy mood swings. So what people are asking is for me to not get sufficient sleep, not drink coffee, and roll out of bed as a happy functioning individual who can contribute to something instead of violently removing someone's head. And while expressing, "Hey, so... I'm pregnant. And 8am is too early for someone making a human being without coffee" would be a satisfactory explanation to all involved, I have to go the cryptic route of "I am.... unavailable... at that time." "Are you sure you can't make it?" "Yes. Yes, quite."
  2. Attempts to be polite about my physical appearance.
    "You look! ... ........ great...."
    "I'm pregnant!" would totally justify why I'm rocking the muffin top and the buttons on my shirt are a bit tight. It would explain why there was no energy to put on make up or do anything more with my hair than whip it up in a ponytail and wonder when the last time I washed it was. My clothes look wrinkled where they're not stretched to capacity because I did in fact just roll out of bed. Naps, I take at every available moment. I am rocking the grunge look like it's hot! But it's not....
  3. Odd looks when I stuff my face.
    So it's not enough that I look horrible, but I'm also, constantly, shoveling food into my face. Which receives no sympathy when you have quite obviously been putting on some pounds. Especially when filling the face happens during conversations. "I'm pregnant" would garner sentiments like the technically incorrect "Oh! You eat, honey! You're eating for two!" or the subtle threat "Eat up while it'll still stay down!" Instead, my frequent bouts of ravaging hungry which are quickly satisfied with a few bites are deserving of comments like, "...do you have worms?" ".... no..."
Now that I'm in the second trimester, these things have mostly gone away. I'm rocking some maternity pants, which takes care of the muffin top with a bit more class than the sweats... And not only have I been less tired, but now I sleep like a rock! Win! "I'm hungry" is uttered about 8-12 times a day, but I can now justify it, which is lovely.

Did you have sufferings found in keeping pregnancy secrets?

1 comment:

Angela said...

Agreed on all accounts. Hooray for 2nd Tri!!!