Wednesday, June 16, 2010

First Day in PNG

After the third plane, I was on the verge of tears at the thought of getting on another on. But I managed (not particularly well).
Getting into PNG was mind-blowing. I almost cried when I realized that I finally made it here. After investing so much of myself in getting to PNG, I am not finally here.
After getting off the final plane, I was meet with familiar faces and brought to the place where I'm staying. I got a shower and then went back for dinner. I hadn't even finished my burrito when I started having trouble keeping my eyes open.
I DID take the time to put a fitted sheet on before I passed out at 8pm.
At 6am, I was wide eyed and bushy tailed.
It was very odd to wake up with the realization that I am in Papua New Guinea. Walking into the kitchen, my leader asked me how I was. "i'm in PNG," I mumbled. "You're in PNG!" she exclaimed. And she hugged me.
I drank PNG coffee, breakfasted on little lemon poppy seed muffins. A pineapple was cut up and I am here to tell you that USA pineapples are nasty! I can not believe I liked those. PNG pineapples are the way to go!
I also ate passionfruit. Passionfruit tastes really good but it as the texture of monkey brain.
Ryan ate an ant right off of tree!
Now I'm in the PBT office.
There's a lot of traffic here. Always someone walking in or calling.
We're supposed to be going to the market soon. THAT'll be an experience.

1 comment:

KT said...

isn't it strange how much better fruit tastes when it isn't genetically altered?? Love you, sweet girl

KT