Sunday, June 13, 2010

A feet of a missionary

I just spent the past 3.5 hrs of my life at the feet of a missionary who has been in Papua New Guinea for 30 years, asking him questions about life there from how to be an inside outsider to the animal population to how to walk in the streets of the city.
Also, I got the honor of being giving the traditional Waran greeting. The missionary walked up to me, the foolish one who volunteered to be greeted, and grabbed my head and began to rub his nose all over my face. Of course, the first time this happened some sitting in the circle had a bad view of the event and so it was repeated at a different angle for their enjoyment. I was not informed of the manner in which the greeting was given. Needless to say, I responded better the second time around than the first.
The conversation was delightful and illuminating. I can't wait for tomorrow for yet another opportunity to hear and learn.

No comments: