Saturday, May 25, 2013

5 Things I Couldn't Live Without In the Jungle

Missionaries often experience this debilitating phenomena called "culture shock." Often, small conveniences and luxuries can offer enough solace from this strange new world to keep the shock from breaking them and sending them home packing. PBT comes at this with a "Bring what you need to last" attitude. It's prompted my husband and I to consider what luxuries we will need to maintain a healthy level of sanity. 

Here's our list so far:


5. A Whirley pop. And I already have one. There I was buying glass teacups for our wedding favors at thrift stores, and I saw it. The light glistening off it's stainless steel curves. I can't remember how much it was, but I remember it was a steal! I also remember that the next time I was there, there were like 5 more... I'm not sure who was hording the Whirley pops but I regret not buying them all! They would have made wonderful presents for fellow missionaries! Have you ever tried making popcorn over a stove ON AN IRON SKILLET?!?! The Whirley pop and I are going to be BFFs. 

4. A king size bed. Excessive? You say judging me? No! Not excessive. My king size bed will have a king size mosquito net over it. This mosquito net keeps out more than mosquitoes. It keeps out all the little flying bugs! (There are some really little ones that like the light, but as long as the light is kept up high, they're not too bothersome.) (almost) ALL THE BUGS! And let me tell you, there are some days where you come to the point that swatting will work you into such a rage that, as a fire burns in your belly, you think "IF ONE MORE BUG -" (a bug lands on you) "AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!" The mosquito net is the only place where relief is found! My first trip it was a 6x2 mat 1" thick. I swore that if this place would be my sanctuary, I would make it BIG! A place where I could sprawl, not be cautious that I was sitting too far to the left and touching the netting and would get bitten and get malaria. A KING SIZE BED! ...or two twin size beds pushed together....

3. Compost Chute - Every bush house I've been in (3, that number is 3) had this bucket where the missionary would throw their compostable trash. Their dirty hands, just having cut meat, starch of potato peelings, or coffee grounds, will touch the lid. Residual gunk graced the rim where the remnants slipped in, because no one opened the lid all the way. And do you know WHY?!?! Maggots. MAGGOTS! IN THE BUCKET! EATING THE COMPOST! MAGGOTS! I hate maggots. Instead! I will have a chute! That I throw food in, and it goes outside into a garden or pig slop bucket and I won't have to worry that a maggot crawled up the side and when I put food in it will crawl on me, and I will freak out, and fling my hand, and the maggot will go flying and land in some food dish, but I don't know which one, and you can't throw everything away. We live in the bush. There is no Walmart to forgive the waste of the meal. We will just wait until we find him. Or worse... don't. Compost Chute. 

2. Weighing in at 4.5 kg, the camp chair with footrest! Have you ever sat in one of these!? On days that were so stressful that I was on the verge of tears almost the ENTIRE DAY (see Fishing. That last sentence? This chair.), I came back to sink into this chair and put my feet up. A clamp-base lamp peered over my shoulder to shine on my Kindle. And everything was better. (*ahem* mybirthdaysJune3rd *ahem*)

1. Ice - If you're unfamiliar with the amazingness of ice, try this recipe. You won't regret it. Especially in the hot jungles of Papua New Guinea, ice is like the frosting on the cake, the whip cream on the ice cream, and, yes, the ice in my Mango Orange Schweppes Soda. (We plan to have Soda Saturdays in the bush. The cost of daily sodas and the weight they would take in the helicopter is too much, but a weekly treat can be perfect!) I hate hot soda.

No comments: