Sunday, August 5, 2012

3 notes of wisdom + an update

The fiasco involved with booking our plane tickets is far too long a complaint-ful to take your time with. But first, let me share with you my recently found wisdom.

1, I would suggest NEVER using Cheap O Air as apparently they're booking technique involves presenting  a few ridiculously cheap flights, when you book them, say "Oh No! they're no longer available! But here's a $5 off coupon for your loss." After repeating a couple of times, it develops a panic in you that you have to buy the plane ticket now, even if it's $500 more than the first one you tried to book because they're all getting bought up!!! But I am no fool! Not that many people are trying to get to PNG! so I refresh the page and guess what!?!?! Those "sold out flights" are listed again!!!!
Don't do it friends.
2! Beware 3rd world country airlines. They will arbitrarily decide to cancel flights even though it'll mean you'll miss your connection and they WON'T pay to put you up in a hotel. So wait to book your tickets if you can. Less chaos.
And 3, select your seats as late as possible. Especially if you have to pay. Because the Terms and Conditions of paying to request seats says that if you change your itinerary for ANY REASON the purchase will not be credited to another flight.

But most recently in this chaos, Qantas Airline said I had to fill out information on the site, but every time I tried it gave me an error! Many times I tried! Over many weeks!
Finally I called Qantas (using the number I'm only supposed to use if my flights in the next 72hrs. I know, such a rebel! But there were no other phone numbers on the site!!) And the lady, in a very soothing Aussie accent, told me that as an American, that's not mandatory. And that they'd just scan the chip in my passport when I arrived at check-in.
"Ok, but what if one of my passports doesn't have a chip?"
"You're traveling on two passports?!"
"There are two people in my party..."
"Oh, well I think worldwide, you have to have a chip in your passport. You'll need to call the Australian Embassy and ask them so you won't have any problems on arrival."
(She also booked the seats I requested free of charge even though Number 3)

But now (in theory) are flights are good to go. I just need to see if my husband is allowed to make the flight!!
Calling the Embassy tomorrow!!

No comments: