Sunday, December 22, 2013

Menial Work is My Spiritual Gift

Like most people, I have a couple spiritual gifts, but I really think that one of them is doing menial work. I really love it! Once, while serving at Verve in Las Vegas, I stood over a copier for three hours. Data entry? I'm your girl! You want me to type, in a language I don't know, an entire book of the Bible? I am on it!
(I mean, I love thought provoking, problem solving work as well! But I really really love some menial work!)
As an added bonus, doing menial work often means I get to free up people to do work that only they can do! And I really love serving people in that regard!

What I am working on right now!

I have been given the pleasure of working on the Catholic Lectionary! 
Papua New Guinea has a strong Catholic presence. With both that and our desire people using the Word of God in their heart languages in mind, we have the idea to make a shell book of the Catholic Lectionary. A shell book is a book who's formatting is done in such a way that you can easily replace the "meat" of the book with any language and not have to worry about the formatting or structure because that "shell" is already there!

What this means is that I get to take a scanned copy of Lectionaries C and A (I already completed B, next year's Lectionary over the summer) and insert computer formatting codes. I remove Scripture passages and replace them with commands dictating which passages to insert. I give every title, subtitle, and sub-subtitle it's own code so that there will be consistency in formatting across the book. And I spell check as the text recognition software is far from perfect. 

Looking back this sounds like more than a menial task, but really after you've memorized the right codes (\ms, \mr, \s1, \s2...) it's clicking and typing all the way down. 

I'm super excited that working to get the Word of God in people's heart language doesn't always have to be something I can help with until I get to the field, but there are opportunities, like this one, to work to that end right here and now! 
I'm super excited that I can give other translators opportunity to do things that only they can, while I do this work on their behalf. 
I'm super excited to have a menial task, because I really really love them!

No comments: