Monday, July 5, 2010

Samban overview

For two weeks, I've been in the jungle.
I lived in a bush house with a bucket shower and bucket toilet. For the first 4 days, a 6*2 1" thick mat covered in a mosquito net was my sanctuary. After that we moved down to the main part of Samban (we were originally in Nupela Painiten), where missionaries from Outreach International were located. They lived in an Americanized house. (During the first year or so, missionaries stay in bush houses until they've found just the right plae amidst just the right dialect to set up a more costly establishment.)
While in Samban, I learn how to scrap saksak (a starch akin to flour), wash saksak, cook saksak, make a belum (a purse of sorts), and I got along on my Tok Pisin. I also recorded the story of how to make a pui (a water dipper made of a coconut and a stick of bamboo) in the local language, ApMa. I then took that recording, transcribed it, found someone to help me translate it, took pictures of the process, and then made a literacy booklet that will be used in the schools there.
We had a great time talking with women and children (it wouldnt be appropriate for me to talk with men). I'd love to come back for a visit in the future.

No comments: