Monday, March 29, 2010

Rain

Today I was woken by a mighty clap of thunder at 5 am.
I thought, "oh dear, I have to drive to Elizabeth City in great rain today."
Before I left, I was sure to check my email to make sure school had not been canceled due to the torrential downpour. It had not.
Driving down I was pleased to discover that, while steady, the rain was not hard, impeding visibility.
However, upon arriving just a turn away from campus, I discovered the final road on my normal route to be flooded. Not losing heart, I turned to take the next parallel road. Only to find that too flooded, and the next, and the next. I decided that this was quite ridiculous and turned to take a more main road, which we all know are less susceptible to flooding. Dear Elizabeth St, however, had been blocked off by the police due to high water levels. And the officer suggested I try Road St, the street I had just been on. When I returned to "risk it", I was lucky to find a larger vehicle fording the road and followed quickly in its wake.
I did not enjoy discovering that Mid-Atlantic Christian University had become an island. Nor did I enjoy driving down those roads at the end of the day, for all indications that it had once been a river were gone. And while that made driving easier, it was a little frustrating to see that what had caused me so much grief was now, after so short a period, gone without a trace.
Good times
Good times

No comments: